There are so many recipes floating around out there that either use avocados or cauliflower to basically replace...ummm...everything! I’ve been a skeptic about many of these things, especially sweets. But THESE!!! Yes...a GLUTEN-FREE, moist, rich, chewy, delicious brownie made with clean ingredients. Just...wow!! Believe it or not, these were just added to the restaurant’s menu TODAY! No one on the kitchen staff could believe that they are gluten-free, made with avocado (which you can’t taste or see), NO sugar (just a little honey), and that they’re only 85 calories for each (850 calories for the whole recipe, cut into 10 brownie squares.) Now I know that they’re not technically "sugar-free" because of the honey...but wow...for 85 calories...to satisfy that moist brownie craving? I’ll take the hit!! (By the way, these aren’t that sweet. If you’re going to splurge and you like a really sweet brownie, I’d double the amount of honey to 1 cup...your preference). However, you can also use granulated stevia in place of honey to make these truly sugar-free.
Also, I like the way salt highlights sweet, so I sprinkled a little salt on top of them as they were cooling. Yummy!! Please enjoy and let me know what you think!!
• 1 ripe avocado, cut into smaller pieces
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup honey (more if desired)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ⅔ cup almond flour
• ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine avocado, eggs, honey and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
3. In a bowl, whisk the almond flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together.
4. Combine the wet and dry mixtures and fold with a spatula until a batter forms. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 inch baking pan (I used a little bit of solid coconut oil to grease the pan).
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350F. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.