Ok, who wants dessert? This light & CLEAN cake really hits the spot for me after a savory meal. It also makes a wonderful breakfast or snack. Drizzled with a little bit of honey or ghee or whipped coconut cream (recipe posted already) or even my high-protein blueberry jam (also very easy & quick to make at home... that recipe is here too. You can use any berries you choose).
Chef’s Notes- For the cake, be SURE to let your coconut milk, eggs, & ghee be warmed to room temperature. The cake will cook lighter & fluffier that way. Also, coconut flour can make bread or cake very dry and dense when it’s over-worked. So don’t over-whisk or over-work the batter... combine the ingredients, pour it in the pan & get it in the oven to prevent a dry, dense cake. Lastly, (and I hate this part)...let it cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan & then another 20-30 minutes out of the pan on a wire rack. Trust me on this: it will cut better & stay together better if you let it cool first. (Just trust me... we’ve attacked it hot and then regretted it when it turned into crumbs. You can DO IT...WAIT!!)
Blueberry Coconut Cake
Ingredients (for the cake)
* 1/2 cup room temperature ghee (and a little extra for greasing the pan)
* 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
* 3/4 cup room temperature coconut milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 5 eggs (room temperature)
* 1/2 cup coconut flour
* 1/4 cup tapioca flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
* 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
Instructions (for the cake)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a loaf pan with ghee.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ghee, maple syrup (or honey), coconut milk, vanilla extract, and eggs by whisking them together.
3. Fold in the coconut flour, tapioca flour, and baking powder. Add half the quantity of the shredded coconut. Mix gently until the dry ingredients become just incorporated with the wet ingredients.
4. Next, fold the blueberries into the batter gently with a spatula.
5. Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and spread it into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining shredded coconut on top of the bread batter.
6. Place in the oven & bake for 45 to 55 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
7. IMPORTANT- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes & then 20-30 minutes on a wire rack.
8. Slice, add the topping of your choice (or none!) and ENJOY!
Chia Seed Berry Jam
Ingredients (for the jam)
* 1 cup frozen berries (any kind)
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 tbsp chia seeds
* 2 tbsp honey or granulated stevia
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* Pinch of salt
Directions (for the jam)
1. Bring the frozen berries & water to a boil for 15 minutes until they’re very soft.
2. Reduce the heat and mash the berries in the pot with a fork.
3. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
4. Remove from the heat & allow it to cool. It will thicken into a jam as it cools.
Photo Credit: Lauren Kamienski 📸