I’ve previously posted my recipe for Sweet Potato Pumpkin Pie which is a crustless Pumpkin Pie that recipe can also be made with just pumpkin purée. (That post also has the recipe for my coconut milk whipped cream.) But I’ve had several requests for a traditional pumpkin pie with a crust. I used walnuts for this crust but you can also give it a try with almonds. As always, post your photos and comments!
For the Crust:
* 1 ½ cups raw walnuts
* 1 ¼ cups almond flour
* 1 egg white
For the Filling:
* 1/3 cup raw cashews
* 1 can (15 Oz) pumpkin purée
* 3 eggs
* 1 egg yolk
* ½ cup maple syrup or honey
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* ½ tsp nutmeg
* 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
* ¼ tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie dish with coconut oil.
2. In a food processor or blender, grind the walnuts until they’re chopped. Add the almond flour and egg white to the walnuts and blend until smooth and the walnuts are finely chopped.
3. Spread the crust mixture into the pie dish in an even layer. Press the mixture down int the dish and then pierce the crust with a fork in several spots to prevent dough bubbles when baking.
4. Bake the crust for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
5. Remove from the oven and cool 10 minutes. (Keep the oven on.)
6. While the crust cools, prepare the filling by adding the cashews to a food processor or blender and blending until crumbly.
7. Add the remaining filling ingredients to the blender/food processor and blend until thick and smooth. Transfer the filling to the pie dish, spreading smooth over the pie crust.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature before serving. You can also serve this with my coconut milk whipped cream.