Well the kids named this one!! It’s a cross between a taco, a burrito, a salad and a rice bowl. To me, it was clean, crispy, & fresh deliciousness in a bowl!! Super easy & quick to make and a crowd-pleaser on what was supposed to be Taco Tuesday on a Wednesday. Enjoy!! And get creative with these!!! (Only 477 calories for the bowl I created).
• 1-2 pounds ground chicken or turkey (I use ground dark meat too for extra flavor)
• 1-2 packages of clean taco or chicken taco seasoning (I like McCormick organic or Whole Foods)
• 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
• 1-2 diced tomatoes
• 1 can pinto beans, drained & heated
• 1 can black beans, drained & heated
• 2 cups chopped lettuce
• 1/2 cup shredded vegan or almond cheese
• 1/2 cup clean salsa
• 1 package cooked brown rice
• Beanito or Siete clean tortilla chips
• 2 avocados, peeled & pitted
• 2 limes
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 small container unsweetened almond milk yogurt
1. Heat & brown the ground meat in a skillet.
2. Mix in the taco seasoning along with the veggie or chicken stock. Stir well and heat through for 10 minutes and then reduce heat.
3. While the meat is cooking, mash the avocados lightly in a bowl with a fork. Leave them chunky. Add the juice of one lime. Add the olive oil, salt, & pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Combine the two types of beans in a bowl and heat.
5. In a large salad bowl or a pasta bowl, arrange a layer of tortilla chips on the bottom. (I used 8 of them.) Then add rice to the bowl (about 1/4 cup). Press down with a spoon.
6. Add 1/3 cup taco meat mixture. Top with shredded cheese, 2 tbsp beans, diced tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, guacamole, & a spoonful of almond yogurt.
7. Finish with a squeeze of a lime wedge or two.
(Here’s my recipe for homemade taco seasoning:
• 6 teaspoons Chili Powder
• 5 teaspoons Paprika
• 4-½ teaspoons Cumin
• 2-½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
• 3 teaspoons Dried Onion
• 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper, or to taste)