I promise you this is SO EASY and just perfect for this crisp October weather. The most work you have to do is opening the cans, chopping a few veggies, and making sure it’s ready to throw in the slow cooker before you leave the house in the morning. I love this over quinoa or brown rice, with a little arugula on top and some coconut milk yogurt for a cool, creamy topping. You can also serve it with brown rice. As always, post your comments and photos! Enjoy!!
Chef’s Note: I use the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s that takes just 3 minutes to cook. Or their frozen quinoa. So easy and no more prep is required! Also, I use Bob’s Red Mill lentils from Shoprite.
• 1 medium white onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 small butternut squash (peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces)
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 3/4 cup red lentils
• 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 (15 Oz) can unsweetened pumpkin purée
• 1 (15 oz) can clean tomato sauce
• 1/2 tsp dried ginger
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper (more to taste as needed)
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• cooked quinoa or brown rice
• fresh arugula
• coconut milk or almond milk yogurt
1. Add all ingredients (except the quinoa, arugula, and yogurt) to a slow cooker. Stir together to combine, then cover and cook for 3 - 4 hours on high (or 6 - 7 hours on low). (For a thicker stew, remove the cover with 1 hour left in cooking.)
2. Serve with quinoa or brown rice, a handful of arugula and a dollop of coconut or almond milk yogurt. Add a dash of red pepper flakes for extra spice!