So let’s get to grilled peaches before the end of the summer. These taste amazing as part of a main meal, in a salad, or for dessert. I’ve got two dishes to share here and a dessert recipe too (separate post). For this meal, I simply grilled the peaches and the steak and used the same honey glaze for both and then served them over some mustard greens with some candied almonds. If you haven’t tried mustard greens yet, they make a wonderful alternative to mixed greens or arugula... just something to change up your summer salad game. But you can use anything you choose. As always, please share your photos & comments and enjoy!
If you don’t find flatiron steaks you can use flank steak or skirt steak. I used the flat iron steaks because they’re smaller and cook more quickly which helps when serving a lot of people in a short one frame. But feel free to use whatever cut of meat you’d like. Of course, you can also use this glaze on any protein you choose, like chicken or even fish.
Once you make this delicious honey chipotle glaze, you’re going to use it on the steak and the peaches. But save a little to mix with some white vinegar or champagne vinegar to use as a dressing on the greens. (Or you can use whatever dressing you enjoy). This recipe should make enough glaze for all 3 components (steak, peaches & dressing), but you may want to double the recipe if you like to use a lot of it you want to have some leftover.
Lastly, to candy the almonds, just toss some sliced almonds with a little bit of the glaze and some olive oil and bake in a single layer on a sheet pan for about 10-15 minutes at 350F. Or you can just use plain sliced almonds in your salad. But I find that the candied almonds give the salad a wonderful sweet & spicy twist. Just be creative! Cooking is about taking some risks in the kitchen... that’s usually how I come up with some tasty “mistakes”!
[One more thing- for the timing of this dish, I candy the almonds and make the glaze first, then the dressing. Then I glaze and cook the peaches & steak at the same time. It takes me about 30-35 minutes to cook & plate everything.]
Ingredients (for the steak)
• 4 tsp olive oil
• 4 tsp minced garlic1 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp salt (divided)3 Tbsp minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce
• 2 Tbsp honey
• 2 Tbsp lime juice
• 2 tsp grated lime zest
• 1 lb flat iron steak or flank steak
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
Directions (for the steak)
1. Combine 2 tsp of the oil, the garlic, cumin, and 1 tsp salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Add the chipotle & honey and stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice & zest. Set aside. [BE SURE to reserve some of the glaze for the peaches & dressing (and the almonds —- if you’re candying the almonds).]
2. Rub the steak with the remaining oil and salt & pepper. Then cook the steak to your liking —— on a grill, in an oven, in a frying pan, or a broiler.
3. Towards the end of you cooking time, spread the honey chipotle glaze over the top of the steak and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, until the glaze begins to darken & bubble a bit.
4. Transfer to a cutting board and let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Slice it against the grain and serve with the peaches & salad (describes below).
Ingredients (for the grilled peaches)-
• 3-4 firm (but ripe) peaches (pitted & halved or quartered, depending on size
• 1-2 Tbsp of honey lime chipotle glaze
Directions (for the peaches)-
1. Brush the peach halves (flesh side) with the chipotle glaze.
2. Place them flesh side down onto the grill or a hot frying pan (prepared with a drizzle of olive oil), cooking until they become golden & are heated. If you’ve cut them into quarters, flip them so to cook the other side.
3. Remove from heat and brush them again with the remaining glaze.
Ingredients (for the dressing)-
• 2 Tbsp chipotle glaze
• 2 Tbsp white or champagne vinegar
• 2 Tbsp clean oil (avocado or olive)
Directions (for the dressing)-
1. In a blender, pulse to combine the glaze and vinegar.
2. Slowly add the oil while pulsing the blender so as to emulsify it into the glaze/vinegar mixture. Once it’s well combined it won’t separate.
3. Assemble your dish! — Toss your mustard greens (or greens of your choice) with the dressing & almonds. Top with the glazed peaches & sliced steak.